Tuesday 2 October 2018

Hiding in Taman Negara

With most of the preparation errands out of the way it was time for me to hit the road. First stop was Taman Negara since it was something I wanted to do for a long long time now. Did you know that Malaysia has The Oldest Rain-forest in the World. 

Entrance to Taman Negara - National Park Malaysia 

The ride was nothing spectacular but peaceful once I left the highway, but a disappointment for I though riding into the jungle would be exciting but ended up riding through farm estate such as palm oil until I hit the Taman Negara pit stop town. The forest reserve was on the other side of the river and this little settlement here serve as a gateway for tourist to stay, eat and stockpile for the trip.

First thing that caught me off guard was that there was no ATM here and the amount of money I brought along ... RM 300 was not enough to secure any tours ... the popular 2 days 1 night tour was RM 230 plus RM 70 for two night at Agosto Hostel and that was all I had. I will have to do it on my own this Jungle adventuring.

First day when arrive I was greeted by the cheerful Kak Ayu. Hostel life was like hostel life but this time around it was a bit more weird since I was from Malaysia traveling in Malaysia so most guest will from time to time will seek for advice about Malaysia which I don't really know ...

Do you know if there is a bus from Taman Negara to Perhentian Island ... ??

Ummm ... I dunnu I rode a bike here ...

Cool you ride a bike here !!! .... Do you know if I just show up in Tioman would there be a place to stay or should I book in advance ?

Errr ... ask google ??

Whats the best way to get from here to Kuala Lumpur ....

Ride .... :)

But apart from the technical information which I am dumbfounded .... I could give many bias location to visit and things to do in Malaysia .... haha

Jungle Tracking in Taman Negara & Canopy Walks ...

Taman Negara was one of the easiest Tropical Forest to enter and wander alone without a guide. Park entrance was RM1 which last for one month and if you bring a camera of phone that would be another RM5/month 

Park Ranger HQ in Taman Negara 

The arrangement was like a three layered difficulty where the first layer encompass area nearby the Ranger HQ with gangplanks for walkway and cleared path making an obvious human trail felt nothing like an untouched rain-forest. 

Gangplanks Walkway Trail in Taman Negara 

If anyone asks if i met any large animals/mammals in the rain-forest my answer would be yes ... there are these species named humans, very loud and moves in groups of 10 to 20s but sometimes you find the more adventurous one wandering alone.

The second layer beyond the first was much more tranquil and leaves the gangplanks walkway into a small dirt path carved out in the forest by constant hikers. I preferred this one but tracking alone can be scary for every noise in the bushes and trees could mean i was dinner .... the third is of course cutting deep into the rain-forest, do not attempt without a local indigenous guide. 

Deeper in Taman Negara the Gangplank Vanished to a Tiny Dirt Trail. 

Also, everyone goes to the canopy walks ... for RM5 you get to walk among the treetops of the Jungle. 

Taman Negara Canopy Walk

Hiding Huts in Taman Negara (Bumbun)

Apparently no wild camping is allowed in the rain-forest reserved as the animals roam the land at night and may be dangerous to people hence the Hiding Huts or Bumbun are constructed by the Rangers at stretegic points in the jungle for overnight observations. It cost RM5/month to go overnight in one of the Huts. 

Hiding Huts in Taman Negara 
In the huts there are only bunk beds made out of wood and that's it. No lights, no electricity, no water, no toilet, no nothing ... you bring your own sleeping bag, food and water but no open fire cooking is allowed. 

Hardboard to Sleep in the Hiding Huts 

I decided to try for Bumbun Chegar Anging which was about 3km away from the Park Ranger Center but there was catch ... you needed to cross the river ... “cetek je” the ranger said ... its shallow water you can walk across it he said.

Armed with sleeping bag, food and water I made my way to the river crossing point .... that's a huge river ... laid down my stuff to test and see if I could cross the river .... no way ... unless i was prepared to be fully soak ( no issue ) but also all my stuff to be fully soak ( food, sleeping bag, phone) .... nope so I headed for Bumbun Taping instead just a few hundred meters away from Bumbun Chegar Anging but without needing to cross the river. 

River Crossing ... Looks Shallow but .... 

Needless to say it was boring ... apart from chilling at the river bathing and watching the water flow and later reaching the hut and waiting for night to fall, I saw no animal. Thou there was many jungle sound to appreciate that was all I could do, listen. 

My Provisions for one Night in the Hiding Huts 

The hut could take up to 8 person but for that day .... I was the only one there .... alone in the jungle .. 

Observation View Point from the Hiding Huts 

Hardboard for a bed was sore but other than that very peaceful at the hut ... Early morning I walked back to the hostel but along the hike back I heard some noise and movement in the bushes but could not see what it was ... I think it was some-kind of animal ... a dog or wild boar would be my guess ... never really see it but it sure scare the hell out of me.

You know walking alone in the jungle was nice ... until you feel that you are being tracked by something .... when all the noise of birds and jungle sound suddenly goes silent .... shit shit shit ... but what can I do .... just slowly keep going following the trail .. I got out ok ... and that's the end of my Taman Negara adventure ....

Travel on: Aug 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment