Wednesday 4 September 2019

Riding Log – Route 1192 Mae Hong Song Loop – Thailand

The ride from Doi Inthanon to Mae Sariang not what I expected. After climbing from Chom Thong to Doi Inthanon and even going to the peak, the roads were good and wide, and while steep, still gentle enough to not feel afraid.

Going down from Doi Inthanon on Route 1192 towards Mae Chaem, the roads were ridiculously steep with most roads cracked, crevices, small holes and stones and lanes so small if two cars pass opposite each other they would have to squeeze carefully.

The downhill was so steep my brakes started to squeak, both front and back brakes. It was those kind of sharp hairpin turns on a steep slope that when riding, it was not facing forward but facing downwards. This went on for 20km stretch never ending bends and hairpin turns on steep slopes downhill.

No time to think for after one turn was the next and the next and each minor mistake in a turn where I go too wide, or pass too close to oncoming traffic, or squeeze a brake too hard to the point of near sliding, there was no time for contemplating and adjusting for the roads did not allow for any stops, down and down non stop with full focus.

I was not fast as well, averaging around 20km/hr low on 2nd gear ,it was as slow and safe as it gets but the strain on the hands and body and the mind at every bend just makes me want to find a place to stop and readjust my mental state before tackling this downhill.

The first slightly opened pavement with side roads I saw, I made my break. Watching the cars and bikes going pass me down hill and the opposite one going uphill I could see first time standing still how steep it really was. There is no room for mistakes really. Either to do it in one go, going through the bend up the hill or down the hill without stopping for if at any point one stop at the bend, that was a bound slippage waiting to happen. 


Downhill Ride Route 1192 

I was glad it was a downhill and not uphill through this Route 1192 for if I were climbing, I wonder how long I would last before making a mistake with the gears climbing and an accident worst than Chumphon would happen.

Once down at Mae Cheam, the winding up and down rolling hill was a nice ride scenic all the way to Mae Saraing. Only problem was most times there were no chance to stop for photos since the roads does not permit it being single lane and with winding bends every few meters.

I had to choose .... to enjoy the ride through this winding and rolling hills or to look at the beautiful view. 

Mae Hong Son Loop - Route 1192

Traveled on: Dec 2018
#route1192 #maehongsonloop #motorbiking #blurtravels


No comments:

Post a Comment