Tuesday 28 October 2014

Visiting Sydney

Sydney was an a ok experience for me but it had the potential to be a good stop. Thing is, it was my first stop on my year long journey so I was naturally a little bit eager to move on and hit the road.

Hostel and Work
The hostel I stayed was at the summer house backpackers which was filled with Germans doing a work and travel holiday. Not much traveling but a lot of working from what I could tell. Common area conversation was almost asking about each other jobs and how much they get paid an hour. One guy was so proud that he got paid AUD 22 an hour and was basking in glory in it. The situation at the backpackers was changed in a sense since most travellers on a working visa was camping in Sydney since that’s where the better pay was in Australia and normally make a home out of the hostel. This sort of ruin the come and go traveller
Drugs
Drugs seemed to be plentiful in Sydney although I did not see it personally. Every night some other bloke would be high on drugs (the pill kind) and would go on to the wee hours partying. The other indicator was that there would be syringe disposal bins in the weirdest places you could imagine. One even told me that at another hostel they have it in the toilets. Somehow Australia did not feel so safe anymore but I am still hoping the dun bother and they won’t disturb you would be workable.
Sights and Touring ….
Lots of tours are available in Sydney that it could bog you down a little. Makes a person vary if he is getting ripped off. I surely did. Now if you want to go whale watching and would be traveling the east coast I recommend postponing that item on your list. I took the whale watching and Taronga Zoo ticket that cost AUD 99. I later found out when in surfers paradise you could get whale watching for AUD 20. Fuck the zoo and go to the kangaroo park or koala sanctuary as well if you go up north along the east coast …. Oh well still it was a nice experience … worth going if you are only going to be in Sydney.
Day trips to Blue Mountain and Hunters Valley and a bunch more which I did not feel like venturing. Sydney was too efficient for a traveller that it feels like somehow you are being ripped off even if all the tour agency that you been to spill out the same prices or close to it.
The free walking tour however is worth a go. I think I posted on it previously … LINK. Markets and boat rides and of course venturing and hopefully surving King Cross Red Light district. King Cross gets crazy at night for that’s is also where all the pubs are and lots of people goes to party. Funny thing is that if you go when the sun goes down you would think that King Cross is like any other party pub street and not a red light district for there are more party goes then the bongo bongo goers. Of course the bongo bongo is more discreet …. I’ll never know …. Too chicken to try it out I guess ...
Walk and Get Lost
Walking would be my favourite past time in Sydney. I could walk for hours and still see something new around each corner. Parks are abundance and lovely as well and each district has its own charm. Budget savvy this was the bulk of my visiting in Sydney. Tuck in one of the parks is also the Sydney art Gallery which house not much but still has an awesome collection of paintings.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment