Friday 25 December 2015

Barcelona La Vie

I can see what the hype is about Barcelona and how attractive it is to tourist. A tinge of everything but that tiny tinge is of spectacular quality. First day and I did not much since I arrive in the early afternoon and it was bad weather raining and cold so I just visited the nearest monument which was Sagrada Famalia a church of the Gaudi design which was still not completed till today.


Sagrada Familia
This church or cathedral was not completed after being constructed for centuries hence at one face you see old gothic style but at another you see cubism’s style and at others I have no idea what the heck is this place. One thing for sure it is the most prominent landmark in Barcelona although incomplete and would probably be still incomplete when we all die. One could say it is a living work of art since it is always under construction. Even post cards from various years always has a construction crane in the picture. 

For an uncompleted work it was still breath-taking and even more shocking is the entrance ticket fee which was nearly 25 euro. Admire the outskirts …. Smoke, gaze, dream, I’ll come back when its finish to get my full moneys worth’s …. Which means maybe never. End of day one with a trip to the supermarket to buy food for three days.

Arch of Triumph - Barcelona
Barcelona was a crappy time for me unfortunately. Partially due to weather being gloomy and rainy and the other knowing that I would have to leave beautiful Spain soon and move on to France. Days were spent walking around the old big town. Up to the furthest hill to the top of the mountain Tibidabo.

Cristo on top of Tibidabo
Tibidabo. I only decided to go there out of a whim due to the Cristo statue that I spotted from way way down at the beach coast. Looking up at the mountain I saw something that look like a cross / Cristo and decided a day trip might be nice and the view looks amazing from up there. Like a Saint watching over the city of Barcelona I had to go pay my respects so a quick ask around and apparently it was not hard to get there at all.
Barcelona Beach
Metro goes all the way to the foot of the hill for the same price around the city and from there a short hike about 15 minutes brings you to the start point of the Tibidabo Fernicular. It cost me 7.70 euro return ticket but it was worth every penny for the view. There was small amusement park up there and one could enjoy seeing the view of Barcelona and appreciate how humongous the city really is instead of just where the tourist loiter around.

The other thing I did was hike up the hill on the left side of Barcelona to see the old castle. Tibidabo was better I would say for the view for the Castle was nothing spectacular after seeing Toledo and south of Spain. Ola Barcelona …. Somehow it’s just not for me.

Touristy city Barcelona is and full of things for everyone to do. I was alone …. And Barcelona alone is not as fun as I thought it would be so it was time to move on.
City of Barcelona - Tibidabo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment