Friday 26 October 2018

Camping in Kuala Perlis

Kuala Perlis was the stop before I could board the ferry together with Bluey towards Langkawi. Only at Kuala Perlis can one take a vehicle on a RoRo ferry to Langkawi hence the other port at Kuala Kedah was out of the option.

A quick check online and shows no hostels in Kuala Perlis and all the cheap hotels were at least RM70 per night. I took a risk and did not book anything just starting the ride as late as possible from Alor Setar since it was only a 50km ride to Kuala Perlis. 


Camping at a Grass Patch in Kuala Perlis (Chinese Restaurant Behind)

Camping Front View of the Beach - Kuala Perlis 

The ride was beautiful in a way going by the coastal road with barely any people around. The loneliness of travel and the peace that comes without thinking of anything. Thoughts wandered everywhere and nowhere at the same time. 

Coastal Road to Kuala Perlis 
Patch of Grass for Camping ??? but that is swampy paddy fields  

However one thing at the back of my mind constantly was, where am I going to sleep tonight.

Oh that patch along the side of the road looks like camp worthy ... a lil dangerous since if a car pass-by he might hit me since the patch is only so large. On and on I go enjoying the view and ride while looking for a possible place to rest for the night.

Reached Kuala Perlis and checking the location of Ferry and also the check-in counter, I was all good by 4pm and it was time to make a decision, go to a hotel or really really find a place to camp the night. 


Langkawi RoRo Ferry Counter at Kuala Perlis 

Loading Port to Drive on the Bike / Car onto the Ferry 

Along a small park was a grass-patch which was facing the sea, lots of lovers and bikers would ride up and hang out by the parapet of the beach lepaking as the Malaysian way it was. Behind was a Chinese restaurant, large but not open. A few small huts for resting was around and I thought ... yea this will do ... I could camp here nicely with Bluey parked just next to me. 


Lepak Corner with a View - Kuala Perlis 

Time to burn time .... time passes very slow when you want it to go faster ... I was outdoors and wont be able to pitch a tent till sundown ... Dinner nearby at a restaurant was a 2 hours agenda to purposely pass more time and use the toilet one last time

I rode back to the spot at 7pm and dammit the Chinese restaurant that was close was now fully open with loads and loads of customer. .... so i decided to eat a second round since I was getting feasted by the mosquito at the park. Most people lepak no more than 30 minutes for after blood donation to the mosquitoes it was time to go.

I saw so many police cars and policemen at the Chinese restaurant too ... oh boy ... just lay low and wait it out I thought ... wait till everything is close then pitch the tent. So apparently the restaurant was quite popular with the King of Perlis state, that the car park had a special reserved spot for him .... I wondered if he was there that night since there was so many police around.

10 pm arrive somehow slowly and the restaurant had no signs of slowing down ... lepak group was small enough now and I was now too tired to bother of what people think of me. Pitch up the tent in darkness with a few street light away while donating more blood to the mosquitoes.

Seaside breeze ... where the f*ck is the seaside breeze ... there was no seaside breeze at all and all i got was still warm air. Google weather said a thunderstorm would arrive at 10pm but no signs of it. Avoiding the mosquitoes was a priority now with me sticky and sweaty pitching up the tent but alas inside the tent where the was no mosquitoes there was also no wind and hence an even more hotter environment. ...

I had to remember back to childhood days where one had to master the art of fanning oneself to sleep and once asleep try to dream of stuff such as sleeping in a puddle of water shipwreck in the middle of the ocean with nothing around floating and sleeping in the comfort of dampness ...

I was sweating and semi-sleeping .... at least I was saving RM 70 i thought ... its just one day ... too late to back out now. Somehow by 2am by my estimation the restaurant closes and the morning dew came making sleep possible ... by early morning it was a lovely sleep only to wake up by 7am to pack and get out before someone ask me what I was doing there that night.

More time burning till 1245pm and it was a sweet ride on the ferry to Langkawi ... 3 hours on the boat and once i checked in to the hostel it was a shower a beer and sleep in that order ....


Traveled on: Sep 2018
#blurtravels



No comments:

Post a Comment