Saturday 6 October 2018

Riding from Taman Negara to Cameron Highlands

Riding Log, this ride was not the most difficult but I slightly underestimated the distance of travel. Standard traveling day I thought, so about 250km journey for the day and should take around 4 hours plus a little more since this was going to be up a mountain with winding roads


On the way to Cameron Highlands 

The route was simple ... Taman Negara -> Jerantut -> Kuala Lipis -> Sungai Koyan -> Ringlet -> Tanah Rata (Route Map Below) 



Taman Negara to Tahan Rata Cameron Highlands - 262 KM Journey 

So I started my journey through a very boring ride passing almost no village other than the occasional huts. My aching butt had to endure till I could no more and took rest in some shade along the way.


Throughout the journey the hills were a challenge ... long straight uphill climb prove to be too much for Bluey even with an initial speed of 80km/hr. Eventually I had to kick down to 4th gear and 3rd gear just to keep the bike moving at 30km/hr to 40km/hr ... yea the bike is heavy now with the box cargo load.

So long as Bluey still goes ... 



Lonely Road to Cameron Highlands 

Beautiful Scenery Along the Ride 

The one thing that I worried most was fuel. Bluey was running low on fuel. I thought I would see a petrol station before hitting the winding road up to Ringlet but heck before I knew it, I was already on that road. Based on my calculation, I should have just enough to reach Ringlet, not too bad but then again I had no idea if the fuel would burn more going uphill with this slow pace ...



Beware of all Kinds of Wildlife on the Road 

Sultan Abu Bakar Dam at Cameron Highlands 

Last 50km or so was done with a single bar ... I knew Bluey was light ... I could feel it too when going uphill now. Somehow I had more power .... but that was not the kind of horsepower I wanted to trade for.

Worst part was that I did not even know if there was a petrol station at Ringlet, phone had no signal and hence I was riding blind. So when I finally reached Ringlet and saw the petrol station, how relief i was and quickly pump it up .... first time I ever pump up to RM20 ... normally RM15 gets me a long way ... checking the mileage i have burned up 318km ... I had at most another 32 km knowing Bluey can get me to 350km ... but I have never tried it uphill .... definitely not worth the experiment .... but at least I know something more about Bluey now. 



Welcome to Cameron Highlands 

Cameron Highlands ... MERDEKA ... now what do I do for the next few days ..


Traveled on: Sep 2018





No comments:

Post a Comment