Saturday 24 November 2018

My Petrol Phobia in Thailand

My petrol phobia started with my Thai Cousin out of the blue saying this:

1. You must be careful when pumping petrol in Thailand.

2. The petrol in Thailand is mixed with ethanol, maybe your bike will spoil if you use it.

3. You must pump the highest grade which is the most expensive, the yellow color which is benzine explained my Thai Cuz.

Driving around Hat Yai on the way for dinner I listen bemused that I would have problems with petrol in Thailand. Many Malaysian cars and motorcycle goes into Thailand everyday so they surely have to feed something into their vehicle right.

Passing one of the Gas Station I looked up at the signboard and saw 95 Orange-Yellowish most expensive at 35++ Baht per liter. See ok, it’s there the most expensive I told my cuz, no problem I just go petrol station and say most expensive petrol and I am good I thought.

So apparently Benzine or normal 95 Octane Petrol pure and unmixed with ethanol was a rarity in Thailand. Most petrol stations does not carry the ‘Yellow’ pure benzine petroleum so rocking up to a petrol station no matter how big it looks does not mean I will be able to refuel Bluey.

I quickly found that out once I started my journey from Hatyai to Trang. In the back of my head, while amused by my cuz pessimism and fear of danger in every corner I figured it was good to know things ahead and not when I am near empty tank with Bluey. 


So first big petrol station I saw (SHELL) , a pullover to check out the types of petrol. Most expensive ... V-Power, yep that looks about right but looking closer and the small words at the side said 95 Gasohol. It was the most expensive at 35++ baht per liter. 

No Petrol at Shell Station Thailand, Only Gasohol 

What the f*ck is a gasohol .... then looking at the rest ...

RED – V-Power 95 Gasohol
Yellowish Orange – E20 Gasohol
Red/Black – V-Power Diesal
Yellow/Black – Fuelsave Diesal


Unlike Malaysia where one tend the pumping of petrol on their own, Thailand had attendant to fill up gas into your Vehicle. So while I was trying to figure out which fuel would fit into Bluey, all the attendant was calling me to the Gasohol Pump.

Gasohol .... ethanol I asked ???

Yes was the answer and a very confident assurance by the pump attendant that Bluey can take Gasohol. Remember the normality problem in the border paperwork service ? Yep these people were assuming Bluey could take Gasohol because all motorcycle in Thailand takes Gasohol. No no ... Benzine I asked ... no Gasohol ....

Only Gasohol at the station was the answer. It was a big station too with eating area, resting area, workshop for repairs, 7-11 shop. F*ck ... I could sense the danger coming quietly but surely. 

Bluey had a full tank from Malaysia so I was good for another 350km but what about after ... the thought drove me to check at every petrol station now that I pass, if they would sell petrol (benzine) instead of Gasohol just to assure myself that there will be at least some petrol station that would feed Bluey.

Petrol Station after station and only Gasohol ... I was talking to Bluey now out loud ... can you take ethanol? Your old make kinda engine would not choke up that fast by just a little 10% ethanol in the fuel rite. Look Bluey, if we cant find any fuel in the whole of Thailand that just means we have to try rite ...

At some point at one petrol station I saw the fuel price signboard and a new hope was lit. There was a fuel selling at 38++ baht per liter ... this must be the one ... inquiring the attendant and they confirmed that 38++ petrol is the pure yellow (so apparently 95 gasohol was color coded orange but the first station faded to orange-yellowish hence the confusion) There was only one pump with the pure petrol, (benzine) guess not many people use these other than the imported expensive cars. 

Yellow at the very bottom is 95 Octane Petrol or as the Local Thai people says ... Benzine
Now that I know there is fuel for Bluey, the issue is partially solved .... next will be rationing ... I’ll never know when the next petrol station with Benzine Petrol will be available. In a sense I am fortunate that a full tank of Bluey can get me up to 450km easily.

At Trang, I bump into two Singapore BMW biker while looking for the elusive benzine. Actually I saw them overtake me and seeing the Singapore Number plate I could not resist following if only just to ask if they tried the Gasohol.

They actually turned into Shell petrol station and pump in V-Power 95 gasohol .. when I asked if its ok to pump gasohol into the bike, their reply was ... its 95 standard fuel ... errr ok poor BMW bike ... hope its new enough that its tune for ethanol else these guys will have major problems in a few months with all the burn out parts

Roam roam roam Trang and I found one station that has Benzine ... 38.04 Baht per liter and so far after 100km day tripping today Bluey still purred fine ...

I’m sticking to Benzine in Thailand ... ^^

Traveled on: October 2018
#Blurtravels #Ridingthailand #gasohol #thailand #benzine

3 comments:

  1. When you are in Hat Yai your best and cheapest option is smuggled Malaysian fuel which is sold at many small roadside shops. Generally it is sold in reused drinking water or soda bottles.

    I do not recognise your bike from the photos but most modern japanese bikes will run fine on up to 10% ethanol. Thai gasohol 91 and 95 are fine for them.

    I avoid using gasohol in older or infrequently used bikes. Problems may include corrosion of fuel system parts and deterioration of rubber parts such as fuel hose and seals.

    Benzene 95 is a safe but more expensive option for pretty much any vehicle. You will find it on most major highways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my bike is a made in Malaysia - Demak D7.
    When in doubt ... better to stick to Benzine unless you plan to sell the bike once the adventure is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All petrol engine could take even E20, 20% gasohol. The major issue here is ethanol tend to absorb water from the air. Therefore, avoid leave your tank for too long. If you're draining your tank every 2-3 days while travelling, it would never give issue. But when you're back to Malaysia and your riding lesser, better drain your tank and put fresh Malaysia gasoline into your tank.

    ReplyDelete