Sunday 12 January 2020

Muang Xai / Odomxay and the Internation Border between Laos & China - Boten

I did not stay long in Luang Namtha and departed for Muang Xai or or as the local call it Oudomxay. On the way to Odomxay, I decided to do the 20km detour to another border, the main international border between Laos and China. 


End of the Road - Boten International Border Crossing between Laos & China 
Boten was the border and this was a international border crossing. I was hoping some conversation at the border would enlighten me of future planning on how to get Bluey into China. In the end, I could not glean much information although I reached the end from Laos side, as I would have to stamp out and surrender the Lao TIP before heading over to the China side. 

Information was scare and although right before the border was a few tour agency facilitating border crossing, I doubt the information would be diverse enough for the odd Malaysian Biker. Roads were in shits and muds with lots of big holes. I more or less also break a sweat trying to get through those muddy patches with killer sinkholes beside them like traps waiting to bite. 

Lunch was as difficult to obtain at the border compared to all my travels everywhere in the world. There is just some difficulty trying to get anything out of the locals bordering China as they practically cater to Chinese community speaking mandarin and would not bother with things outside their comfort zone. 

Eatery Place Near the Border 

Just point to the pre-cooked meal ... 
The ride to Muang Xai/Odomday after the border was a nice roads zig zagging up and down mountains again. Land locked country Laos was really a mountainous terrain. All along the way I could see the major construction works for the China ONEBELT being constructed cutting through the mountains and forest to link up further south. 

Road to Muang Xai from Boten 

Up the mountain, just nature everywhere 
By the time I reached Muang Xai there was not much to do other then check in and get food.

Two nights I stayed in Muang Xai and I did not do much other than go out for food and take a long walk around town. By long walk that would be 2 hours and I have pretty much covered all there is to see in Muang Xai which is nothing.

Still, I stayed two night taking it slow looking at Odomxay slowly absorbing the quint little city which I really would not mind considering retiring in. 


Odomxay / Muang Xai city 

Buddha on top the Hill in Odomxay 

Hotel for two nights in Odomxay 






Traveled on : Jan 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment