Sunday 3 May 2020

Border Crossing – Vientiane (Laos) to Nong Khai (Thailand) on a Motorbike

So I decided to cross the border on the 2nd Feb 2019 since Loas was not doing good for my health. Somehow I felt that a change would make me better and running low on money (Laos Currency actually) also means there was not much thing for me to do in Vientiane. 

Thailand - Laos Friendship Bridge I 

Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge I - Laos Side Immigration & Customs 

Morning journey from Vientiane to the border Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge I was a slow ride and somehow I overshoot ending up directly underneath the bridge but not at the immigration. A quick U-turn and I found the correct entry to Immigration and Customs.

It was a bit weird crossing the border. There was so many people, Thai and Laotian alike, maybe it was the weekend and the weekend of a coming lunar new year as well so the queue was massive but I could not find the motorbike queue.

Snaked my way all the way to the front and parked Bluey looking for some information on where to start. The place was like a mess with no rules or guidelines for people trying to cross the border. Everyone seams to know what to do though somehow, and I half contemplated if I should just join in the queue for Immigration Check Out.

I was still worried that I wont be able to cross this bridge with a motorbike and looking at the chaotic border on the Lao side with not a single motorbike in sight other than Bluey made me a little nervous. Well I still had a backup plan to go back to Vientiane and make my way the next day to the next nearest border. That was one of the contingency plan for deciding to cross the border a few days early anyway.

I decided to ask around and saw a custom booth that was not too crowded and seem more like a check point than a processing point. The first officer could not really speak English and passed my inquiry to the second one.

Motorbike ?

Yea I said and after some thoughts he pointed me to a booth on the other end of the border. It looked like to me that was the pedestrian booth where people on buses were queuing to get passport cleared and finally pay some money. I had no idea what the payment is for exactly but if I were to guess, it was payment for exiting Laos. 

Payment for Exit probably ?? 
Anyway its official .... a Resit was given
Payment cost for one person Exiting on Motorcycle : 10000 kip

Back to the customs officer who guided me and he told me to get immigration check out. He then took both the resit for the exit payment and the motorbike Temporary Import Papers (TIP) and left me with nothing.

A long queue for immigration check out and all the while queuing I was keeping an eye on the officer that took my motorbike TIP papers. I now had nothing. No proof that I brought the motorbike in properly and if the officer went puff, I would have a hard time convincing people to let me out of Laos 

Immigration Queue 
Once I was stamped out, I went back to the customs officer .... he double check my papers and said I could go. Weird since I clearly see every other vehicle that line up till the front of the drop bar, hand something to the custom officer for checking before the vehicle was allowed to carry on their journey. 

There was nothing I could do anyway so I took Bluey to the front and the customs officer asked me something which I could not understand. All my document and papers I gave to the officer I told him, pointing towards the man. 

Last Check by Customs before the drop bar lift up and you are good to leave Laos with the Vehicle

The new officer that was the last check before letting me pass out of Laos went around to see Bluey Licence plate.

Malaysia ? He asked

Yes I said and got a wave through and awkwardly the barrier lifted and I was free to move onto the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge I

First was the switch of lanes from Left hand drive to Right hand drive then there was a toll booth for the bridge. Hmm ...no signs for motorbikes so I assumed I would have to pay the same as a car. Nearing the front of the tollbooth and a guard waved me to go through the gaps between the bars. 

Toll prices for That - Laos Friendship Bridge I - Motorbike = Free
So no charge for motorbike to cross the bridge.

Thailand side was straight forward and by now going back the third time into Thailand with Bluey feels little like going home. Thailand was like a second home now for in Thailand I was comfortable knowing where to get things and how the lay of the land works.

Procedure Board for getting a Vehicle into Thailand

Counter 7A was first up getting the Information of Conveyance written up in the TM2 form 

Counter 7A at Nong Khai Immigration
Counter 5A was next getting Immigration Check – In and payed 200 baht for motorbike entry. I assume its motorbike plus immigration processing fee as the officer told me the amount to be paid and gave me change when I had no exact to be given. Seams legit since everyone was asked for the same amount of money 

Counter 5A 
Counter 6A to get the TIP printed and signed 

Counter 6A
Paperwork done I got back to Bluey and entered Nong Khai .. it was a good day to be back in Thailand.
Traveled on: Feb 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment