Tuesday 21 March 2023

Camping at The Tip of Borneo

One day ride took me to Kota Kinabalu from Labuan and the two nights I planned to briefly explore the capital of Sabah did not happen. I stayed there for two night sure, but the unusual full day rain kept me indoors. By the third day, the rain stopped and I decided to leave KK lest the rain decided to come back and keep me from moving again.

Thats when I went to Kudat area.

There was no really any special reason to visit Kudat other than just to mark the ride with Bluey all the way to the Tip of Borneo. I did started the journey all the way from Sematan KM. 0 of the Pan Borneo Highway so I guess it was only fitting that I go visit some landmarks like a milestone to the progress of this Borneo adventure.

Bluey at the Tip of Borneo



Bluey at the Tip of Borneo 

The ride was easy and it was a beautiful view at the Tip of Borneo with even a signpost for photoshots and a marker that saperates the South China Sea with the Sulu Sea. This place has some magic to it in a sense even though there was not much else to do or see.

The Tip of Borneo - The meet point of the South China Sea and the Sulu Sea

Tip of Borneo

To make it a little more special, or rather so I could save some money, I decided to camp at the very Tip of Borneo. There are many local campgrounds cum vacation homestay along the way to the Tip of Borneo where the local houses would accomodate campers or even rent out tent to those who wish to camp by the beach and use their facilities. I did not even bother to ask them for the price and just rode by to the public monument.

No guards, no food stalls, no nothing other than some monumantal signpost. It was perfect to hideaway for the night. So I set up camp at 630pm just as the final glimmer of sunlight begin to fade. The winds were so strong that pitching the tent seamed to be a challange. First try and althought I got the tent up, it looked like some distorted, disfigured pethatic poor creature that says to me, this aint gonna last the night.

Camping at the Tip of Borneo

The failed 1st attempt, distorted Tent Due to Crazy Winds ... 

I could barely stand facing the wind without concentrating. A few times while my mind wanders planning the campsite, a sudden gush of stronger wind would push me off balance. Maybe camping at the Tip of Borneo was not such a good idea. Halfway unfolding the tent thinking I should ride further backwards and find some wind shelter to pitch camp, I decided to give it one more try reoreantating the camp to face the wind head first like a boat facing the high waves and what do you know, it worked.

The further back windbreak where I would have pitch Tent if the Tip was not feasible ... still an amazing view

The whole night was filled with ear deafening winds but luckily within the safety of my tent the sound was still comfatable. My tent flapped continuously like a flag from left to right but stayed anchored without the danger of being blown away. Have to say, it was not easy falling asleep when you know that a force of nature is raging just outside the thin layer of sheet that is your tent.

Traveled on : Aug 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment