Tuesday 30 April 2024

Stumble Upon Hailin Island.

I had no real reason to visit Hailin Island nor do I had a real reason to visit Yangjiang. I was hammering my way west towards Vietnam. At this point there was not much info other than the map which was tempting me towards Hainan Island. Yangjiang was a break of the journey to make the train ride less than RMB 150 per way and total travelling hours less than 4 hours per day.

So I set my eyes on Yangjiang but when trying to find hotels in Yangjiang, I found many hotels in Hailin Island instead. The hotels were cheap too being around RMB 100 for a night but it was two double beds meaning it was RMB 100 for four person. I was only one but figured I could spend the money to see if it was really a hidden gem that not many tourist knows.

So I booked the Hotel, and then it was the journey from Yangjiang train station to Hailin Island. Public Bus No.18 was RMB 15 yuan to get to the island and somehow the hotel I book was at the wrong end of the Island. Not the main town part but the secluded beach part.

Hailin Island Seaside Resort

I figured that going to a secluded beach resort hotel is not so bad for RMB 100. hopefully there was some bycycle for rent and food. Drop off from the bus and this small island seams really deserted on the east side of the island. 4km walk to the resort and I tot I was somewhere in rural Laos. The resort turn out to be a private apartment with many of the units sub-contracted out to holiday apartment management which list them on booking sites.

Walking Through a small town in East Hailin Island 

RMB 100 for a Resort Hotel at Hailin Island 

Check in was easy enaugh but when I asked for possibility to extend the night, the place was fully book. It was either go around the resort to find another sub-contracted unit which there are many by the way but with no idea of how much per night they would charge. 

Going into the room, it was seriusly cheap for four people but I have to enjoy it myself I guess. I was really anticipating the seaside view but then realized I booked the garden view since it was the cheapest. Just another 10 yuan for a crazy view but I missed it.

Mahjong Game for Resort Passtime 

Hailin Island Resort

Next was food. Went down to check out the restaurants and all of them were filled with mahjong tables with many elderly fully engage in their game. No food, all restaurant was closed at 3pm ... and by evening just barely some food was available but with weird ordering system that I would not be able to dischipher.

This part of Hailin Island seam to be a like an old folks getaway resort as I notice many elderly just chilling and playing cards or mahjong among themself. Walking pass some open doors in the resort told me that most of them came with cooking ware too and was managing their food inside their rooms.

The next day I left the resort since it was fully booked and decided to give Hailin another chance by booking the hotel at downtown Hailin. No other way to get there, I booked a DIDI car for RMB 30 and it brought me from one end of the island to another.

Hailin Downtown. I could see the beach barely .... 

2nd Night in Hailin Downtown 

Downtown was definately more lively and food were readily available. If only I book here for the first night, I would have relax in Hailin proper instead of going from place to place everyday. At the hotel I got the seaview this time but it was not much of a view being blocked by other buildings in front. I could still see the sea barely.

I decided to ask the hotel if there was any bike for rent nearby. I ask the same thing the day before but the reply was no. Downtown I saw some bikes for rent but all the shop was closed and no one was around. The hotel guy said yep just across the street or I could rent from them also. The bargain begins at RMB 80 but I talked him down to RMB 60 for the day.

Electric Bike Rental for the Day in Hailin Island 

Armed with an electric bike now, Hailin Island seams like it wont be a waste. Within 15 minutes I was out the door zooming down the streets free to explore. Hailin Island really opened up for me this time and a hidden gem it was indeed.

Hailin Island dont seam to be a pure tourist island but rather it was a seafood farm with many fisheries around the harbour and many windmills along the hills to supply power. In a way the island does not rely on tourism but is slowly being promoted as a tourist spot by China goverment as it is quite scenic.

Hailin Island 

Hailin Island 

Hailin Island Map 

Hailin Island 

Hailin Island 

Hailin Island 

Resort sprouts could be seen along the island with some of them looking abandoned due to lack of tourist. Campervans could be seen along the beach where permitted and most of the tourist seam to arrive by bus to specific resort or by self drive. All tourist seam to be from local mainland China. I seam to be the crazy exception to this as the hotels I booked all had a confounded look when handling my passport.

Traveled on: Dec 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment