Sunday 10 August 2014

Just Beautiful ……. San Francisco

I have mixed understanding of San Francisco after walking around the city for a whole day. That was practically all I did. Just walk around. In a way it’s a unique city of its kind very structured like a chess board but on hills. Multiple hills that are super steep mind you. Normally you think they would flatten the hill since it was so shallow but no they left the many stumps of hills and just built the city on a grid of uneven terrain. It makes it very unique with good photo shots opportunity but when you need to climb that hills and seeing the super steep slope .. It can get tiring. After walking for five hours I finally figured out how to circle the hills and choose longer routes to walk less steep gradient hills to save energy

Golden Gate Bridge
I did’nt get a chance to visit Alcatraz as online tickets says its fully booked out so I guess another thing reserved when I ever visit again. For some reason I could not find much things to do in San Frans …. it’s a higher class society sort of feel in the city so I guess popping by a few days aint gonna let me see the inner beauty of it. It is a perfect place for photographer tourist thou

Biking the Golden Gate Bridge

The one thing I would say is a must do is to rent a bike / Go-cart if you are physically unfit and take a ride around San Frans over the Golden Gate Bridge and visit the other shore. Rentals comes with excellent bike route instruction to keep unhealthy tourist like me from flopping down the sidewalk. Thou just before the bridge … there is an inevitable steep slope to climb that has no shortcuts whatsoever … I ended up pushing the bike up that hill.

Lunch break at Sausalito after cycling for three house from the union square which was three blocks from the hostel. The bike route was not bad but with slight but short difficult uphill path. The rest was beautiful and weather was nice cool and sunny. I don’t see myself cycling back thou since all the downhill after the bridge was easy but going back would be tough. Good thing the bike rental company have it all figured out and have ferry services which would take you back. California and beach does look a bit like in a TV box . I cant wait to get to Hollywood. Alcatraz is out of the picture unfortunately as its fully booked. Guess I’ll save it for next time.

On the bike trail from Sausalito I did’nt ot manage to make my way to muir woods national monument as it was too far and I had not enough time. I did however made a tiring bike ride all the way to Tiburon to catch the last ferry at 4.35pm back to san Francisco harbour. I was just 10 minutes away. At many points I was worried I would not make it in time and would had to cycle all the way back plus uphill. I kinda race the last half hour just to catch that boat. The map says 18 miles but it feels like I did almost 22 miles give and take.

Sad to say I did not find the hidden gem in Sans Frans …. Hopefully someone would guide me next time .


No comments:

Post a Comment