Monday 29 February 2016

Approach by White Boy speaking Mandarin in Copenhagen

First day or morning in Copenhagen and first walk out to explore the new city and while walking towards the centre and while waiting for the little green man to light up, a Dannish Guy(White Boy), in good semi-formal attire, glasses, clean cut walked up to me smiled and introduce himself to me all in Mandarin.



Err …. Ok so I tried to remember what little mandarin I knew and he continue on like I was the new friend he just met in the pub and we were not waiting at a street junction for a little green man to light up.

How is Malaysia ?
You guys speak at least 3 language right ?
Weather must be very cold there ?
How do you like Denmark so far ? Is it your first time in Denmark ?

His shots of question all in perfect Chinese-Mandarin like rapid fire and this went on with me doing my best to answer back in Mandarin, mostly in one word answer and finally I gave up and told him his Mandarin was much better than mine.
No problem he retorted in Mandarin. It was good conversing with you he said.
I ...... Was ........ speechless ........
He bade me goodbye when the little green man finally light up and in my mind I was thinking HUH !!!

I thought there was going to be something more to this unusual conversation. When he approach me I was already on guard, flash back to Milan, London and Chicago on all the scams I had experience so when he started conversation in Mandarin, my hands went to my pocket first and stayed there wondering if I would be pick pocket while this charming Dannish guy distract me with marvellous Mandarin, I even slide my eyes one time to my back and check if my side carry was secure. All discreetly done of course.
Nothing happen and I walked off still on guard half turning around to see the nice guy approaching the next Asian looking Mandarin speaking tourist not 3 steps away from where we were. I then notice a Chinese guy that was behind him quietly observing like a teacher watching a student displaying his Kung Fu in front of the stage for the first time.
I smiled at my own paranoia, still better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment