Sunday 14 June 2020

Ride from Loei to Udon Thani

The ride from Loei to Udon Thani had two stops that I made to have a look around.

Erawan Cave


The thing about travelling around on a motorcycle is that you can do day-trips along the way to the next destination instead of wasting a day to go out to have a look and head back again. On the edge of the Loei province was this Eravan cave largely marked on google map and seemed like a very short detour off the direction I was heading. 


The Foot / Base of Erawan Cave - Loei - Isaan - Thailand 

The Climb Up to Erawan Cave Entrance 

As I approached Erawan caves I could see the Buddha statue high up in the limestone hill looking out from what appear to be a cave high up in a rock mountain. I groaned in my mind knowing that this will be a hike up on foot just to see the cave. 

Just a few more kilometres to the cave and in my mind was already a war started debating and contemplating if I would attempt the climb up which most likely involved stairs just to see a view and a few statue of Buddha and be on my way.

Reached the starting base, I saw the steps with no end in sight but somehow with an empty mind I started the climb. Rested a few times along the way and to my surprise barely 30 minutes into the climb, I was already at the entrance to the cave greeted by a sitting Buddha looking out into the sun.

The view out of the cave was beautiful with rocks formation jutting out from the ground and corn plantation filling the rest of the landscape with shades of yellow and green. 



Erawan Caves - Sitting Buddha Watching out of the caves over the countryside 

The Countryside of Isaan - Cornfields
Inside there was not a soul other than myself visiting the caves. It was a fairly deep cave but lighted up well with no guides or entry fees. At times it was a bit eerie since I was alone and every foot steps echos through the caves as I explored deeper and deeper. 


Inside Erawan Caves 

The most famous monument of Erawan Caves .... what does it look like ^^

Dinosaurs in Isaan – Thailand

Did you know there are dinosaurs in Isaan, Thailand?

Heck I was amazed as well as I ride pass road-signs after road-signs that says dinosaur museum up ahead and decided I have to see this. 



Me noticing the small road Signs on the Left saying Dinasours Ahead. 
The museum building was small and the exhibit was more like a one room exhibit instead of the grandeur of multiple level museum but there was actual fossils of dinosaurs which was amazing in a sense since this was the nearest place to see a genuine dinosaur bone in south east Asia.

So I learn many new things today, that Thailand had discovered 10 species of dinosaurs and all of them was in Isaan.

Entrance was 50 baht for foreigners, outdoors were decorated with dinosaur sculpture replica scattered among the landscape which I only assume was the archaeological site previously when they dug up the bones.

Most of the bones seam to be stored elsewhere but there was a very impressive skull and vertebra of a Velociraptor. I feel that this museum could have done better but it is being used for school trips mostly base on the feel and vibe of the area including the kiddish videos explanations of dinosaurs in Isaan. 



Fossils of a Velociraptor in the Museum 
Oh well ... things to do in Isaan .... go see a dinosaur fossil. Later in my journey I realized that there was not just one museum for dinosaur in Isaan but actually a few of them scattered around where dinosaur fossils were found. The best and largest was the one in Kalasin province.


Dinosaur Museum of Nong Bua Lam Phra - Thailand 
Traveled on : Feb 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment