Saturday 10 April 2021

A Treasure Map in Kratie – The Mekong Discovery Trail

The first thing I notice when I arrived Kratie in le Tonle Guesthouse was the cute little drawn map of the sights and things to do around here.

A treasure map !

The Mekong Discovery Trial - Kratie to Sambor loop around the Mekong River

The Mekong discovery trail that makes a loop from Kratie as a base point and involves two ferry crossings. I was ecstatic for I knew this trail is a must do since I had Bluey with me. I mean why waste a absolutely amazing ride trail for free when every other tourist would have to rent a bike to do this gig.

The trail was about 80km in total making a full loop. I started at 10am in the morning going north from Kratie town passing village life on the road which was what this trail was all about. Discovering the life of normal people along the Mekong river.

The start of the Mekong Discovery Trail. 

I have to say, the tourism idea was splendid for there was not one effort done into making this trail a tourist trap so all along this ride north was normal people chilling out and minding their own business. I reach the 100 column pagoda which was a grand temple but ordinary after seeing so many temples in the region.


Wat - 100 Column Pagoda at Sambor 

The most interesting part of the Mekong discovery trail was the ferry boat crossing in the north. Google maps was a very small marker saying local boat crossing and some comments said only for peoples and no vehicles. I took my chance and rode down to the river banks and saw little bikes inside the boats.

Parked Bluey nicely and identified the boatman and pointed to Bluey and across the wide Mekong river. A nod of the head and I knew this ride was well on its way to becoming legendary.

How much ? I asked ....

2000 riel for Bike, 2000 riel for you

Bluey's Boat ride across the Mekong River 

Just another day Crossing the Mekong River - Sambor

So a total of USD 1 and I will get a boat crossing shipping me and Bluey across the Mekong river. I could not help smiling and admiring as they load up Bluey into the small boat but at the same time felt nervous every time the boat lean one way or another threatening to capsize. All aboard and we were off to the other side.

I paid USD 2 as a gesture of thanks to the boatman once he unloaded Bluey safely and it was off to hit the second part of the trail. Riding on the opposite side of the Mekong river going back south was dirt road all the way.

Many a times I had to cross wooden bridges that looked so battered it was borderline falling apart. Each bridge I would stop, and eyeing carefully, picked out the planks I would ride across on and once committed on the bridge never stop regardless of the sounds the bridge seam to make.

Dirt Road riding - Mekong Discovery Trail

Wooden Bridges Crossing - Mekong Discovery Trail

Local Houses along the Mekong Discovery Trail

Houses after houses just seeing the locals all chilling under the houses in groups either chatting or playing games, I rode slowly all the way back south. It was really the boring non-interesting ride it could ever be but doing it without having to worry about time made it relaxing and enjoyable to see what is, as it is.

The second ferry crossing in the south was more normal and only cost 2000 riel for both me and Bluey and once across it was a short ride back to Kratie.

The Normal Ferry back across to Kratie 

Traveled on: Mar 2021  

No comments:

Post a Comment