Saturday 14 August 2021

The Island of Koh Samui

I spend much time in Koh Samui just riding around and visiting the whole island enjoying the scenary daydreaming really. This island is truly a beauty.

Ferry Ride to Koh Samui 

Bophut Fisherman Village - Koh Samui

Koh Samui Beach

Big Buddha - Koh Samui

Local Basketball game in Koh Samui 

Lamai Beach - Koh Samui 

Only one mini adventure in Koh Samui which was to take bluey out for a spin on the Island inner jungle road. The tourist information said it was good roads just inland up and down and barely anything to see.

The ride started pretty nice with fully paved concrete road going up some steep slopes, curving and cutting around the hills of Koh Samui and at one point I saw a sign saying no Automatic Bikes allowed. No picture taken since I was riding and it was already steep and then I was going up this steeper slopes where no Automatic Bikes are allowed since its too dangerous.

Bluey is now a season veteran ... I went though those slopes tackling it with technical skills instead of just blaring the throttle to push my way up. It was a good feeling knowing I now the skills to take on such mountain climbing challenge and then it was downhill to the coast.

Inner Jungle Road 1 - Koh Samui

Inner Jungle Road 1 - Koh Samui 

There was two inner island roads in Koh Samui and after going through the first one in the morning pretty easily I thought .... why not do the second one as well.

This one was as challenging as the first one and my mind kinda went blank just focusing on each corners and each climb, and just then the pavement became dirt road, and the dirt road became something that looked like a river bed dried up. Heck am I still on the road ?? still there was only one road so far and the GPS still said I was going the right way.

Looking ahead at the crazy slope up and bends with loads of cracks in the dirt road filled with stones and pebbles, I had a bad feeling but at the same time I also felt it was so close to the top of the climb .... If I could just get there ... then it was just a downhill challenge ... downhill is never that hard ... I can always just slide down worst case with bluey scraping the road and me watching with heartache ...

The climb was beyond my capabilities and Bluey went to a stop with it’s back tire wedged deep in a crack dirt road filled with stones. All my attempt to move forward or even trying to turn bluey to get the tires out of the cracks was a no go ... in one attempt the slide backwards made me lost control and bluey fell sideways pinning my legs hot with the engine but not before I yanked the leg out quick and kill the engine.

Bike down ... no one around.

Inner Jungle Road 2 - Koh Samui 

I manage to pick bluey up ... and I could hear a vehicle coming from behind .... I was at a bad location, in the middle of the slope and also just after a bend to if the vehicle came to fast there was a high change it could collide with me which was still holding on to bluey.

Blared the horns and the vehicle slowed down at the turn and I saw an ATV. Locals ... and I asked for help. With their help, they tried to get bluey uphill thinking they have the skills to handle this terrain but after a few tries with even me pushing bluey behind ... the guy gave up and said no way ... no way .... turn bluey around and they help be bring bluey back down 100m to a more safer gradient albeit still challenging to continue on downhill. They said good bye and I watch them ATV up the steep rocky terrain ....

Very slow ride downhill and that was the end of the mini adventure ... long way back to the hut to lick my wounds ....

Koh Samui 

Koh Samui

Guan Yu Shrine - Koh Samui 

Traveled on : Apr 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment