Wednesday 29 June 2022

Camping in Sri Aman (Simangang)

*This post is a continuation from My Failed Attempt in Border Crossing into Kalimantan with a Motorbike *

I left the border hitting the road hard not sure where I will spend the night since the U-turn at the border had mentally gave me a kick in the ass which made me go into a haze knowing what I need to do but somehow just refuse to create a clear picture in my mind of the next step or next plan.

I rode Bluey as fast as I was comfortable but still slightly over the limit that allow my brain to think clearly since I needed to focus on the road. Once I hit Serian and stopped for lunch giving my ignored butt the long awaited break, my mind started thinking clearly again after some food and a good drink.

The Road to Sri Aman - Sarawak 

Sibu was too far. Doable but not worth the push. I have more time now that 2 weeks allocation for Kalimantan has been shoved down the drain. Sri Aman had no hostels and budget hotels were going to cost me at least RM 50 and usually those are the very crappy ones that you wonder if its safer sleeping outside just to avoid all the germs.

I decided to hit Sri Aman early just to check out the place at least and somehow I was confident to find a nice safe grass patch to spend the night so long I had enough daylight to scout for a spot. By 320pm I reach Sri Aman and went straight to the Fort Alice, one of the old White Rajahs monuments scattered across Sarawak.

Fort Alice - Sri Aman

It was a lovely place, closed at 4pm but at 330pm the caretaker already started locking up the doors and was about to leave. I asked if it was opened and he hesitated to reply knowing the official opening hours were till 4pm but a small town like this with barely any tourist, it was not uncommon to pack up early on a Sunday afternoon. I spared him the dilemma and told him I’ll just look around the Fort Alice compound instead.

Fort Alice - Sri Aman Sarawak

Traditional Malay Canoe Display at Fort Alice - Sri Aman Sarawak 

Fort Alice, the best place to set up camp since the grass was trimmed on soft mount with beautiful high vantage point to overlook the Batang Lupur river. I asked if I could set up tent and he said he could not say. Night time security is someone else responsibility but after closing hours this heritage place is a restricted area. I could read the hidden meaning of the message.

No guards but if you get caught I never gave you permission.

Taman Panorama - Sri Aman Sarawak

Next to Fort Alice was a very small public park called Taman Panorama which the locals hang out every evening watching the river hoping to catch a glimpse of the occasional tidal bore. Looking at the terrain, it was a perfect place to set camp and hence I decided to set camp but only after dark when the romantic walks by couples in the evenings are done.

I went riding around Sri Aman, not very interesting for it was just like any other small town and decided to hang out at the only KFC in town. For the next few hours KFC was my day camp supplying me food, toilet, power point, WIFI, and air-conditioning,

Sri Aman - Sarawak

Sri Aman - Sarawak

By 9pm I headed out to Taman Panorama and not a soul was in sight. In the stealth of night, I pitch my tent and went to sleep. At early morning, I was woken up by someone yelling and I jumped up thinking shit maybe the police or security have found me and I was in trouble but the yelling continued YAAAAAAAAAAA ....... ALLAH HU AKBAR. 

Camping Spot at Taman Panorama - Sri Aman 

Camping Spot Overlooking Batang Lupur River - Sri Aman 

Sri Aman

Oh ... morning prayers. A quick scan and I saw the mosque and decided it was far enough that the early morning worshippers wont bother me. Back to sleep. By sunrise it was really time to run, as the early morning old folks walkers begin their routine, I packed up the tent overlook by their curious eyes and left Sri Aman for Sibu.

Traveled On: Aug 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment