Tuesday 21 November 2023

Exploring ShangriLa (Diqing) in One Night

The whole crew was going out for hot pot dinner at a halal restaurant nearby and I just said byeee. Ditch my bag in the room and a quick charge of phone for battery and I was out running to grab a taxi. Taxi to the ancient city of Shangrila was 10 RMB for 4 km and I paid it to save time so I could actually see the Little Potala Palace.

To Little Potala Palace

Little Potala Palace Entrance

I was worried it was closed but alas it was still open and I walked in to make a prayer for mom. I ended up hanging around the temple ground so long just walking around, observing people and of course pulling the humoungous tibetan bell. 

Large Tibetan Prayer bell at Diqing Shangrila

There was so many people everywhere at the temple althought It was already so late. I kept alternating observing the temple architecture, detailing sculptures and people. The local tourist here were similar to Dali, they all dressed up beautifully in minority tribes costumes and go all around the temple ground taking photos.

No dinner, no problem, I was willing to sacrifice dinner for exploring and by 10 pm I headed down from the temple to the old town to see the other part of Shangrila. The tourist part. 

Everything was already starting to close up. In away they could tell that once the temple close at 10pm, the people slowly drift outwards and onwards. I could not help looking of course for the tourist part of town was still very picturesque and the trinkets were facinating in their own way. 


Diqing Ancient Town

Diqing Ancient Town

Of all the suvinear shop selling tibetian trinkets only one caught my eye, the bell shop and there I spend nearly half an hour hearing different bells before settling on one that I like. 

How much I asked, and of course that one would be the expensive one. I was looking for a deep tone ... and deep tone means larger bell hence a higher price. Quick negotiation and I bought the bell and it was already 11pm. Shop all around was closing down fast now.

Bell Shop in Diqing Ancient Town

Bell Shop in Diqing Ancient Town

By luck I managed to find dinner at 11pm. No hotpot for me but still ordering for one person without defaulting to fried noodle or fried rice was a challange. Ended up having too much food but still I was hungry and it worked. By the time I reached back the hotel via taxi, it was already 1am

ShangriLa was a blast but too short. I would have loved to really immerse into the city. Another sleep deprived day tomorrow .....

Finally Dinner ... 

Traveled on: Jun 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment