Tuesday 12 March 2024

A Muliple Chance Encounter in Wuhan

Today Wuhan was somehow sustained by pure touristic enthusiaem. After switching hostel early in the morning around 8am, and somehow the hostel let me checked in by 9am, I found myself with a warm bath but not ready to go back to sleep. Hence by 10am I headed out for some food only to drift all the way to The Yellow Crane Tower scenic area and yet found no food.

Yellow Crane Tower - Wuhan

I bought the entrance ticket for RMB 70, headed in and just that first few pace out the gate all kinds of people was entraped with photo taking. An old lady pulled me over and asked for my help in taking pictures for her. 

I obliged and joking said she has to take one for me too. After the exchange we slowly wander inwards and somehow stopped at the same spot to take photos of the Crane statue. She asked for more photos and started explaning to me the meaning of the statue.

Crane Statue in front of Yellow Crane Tower - Wuhan 

Mosiac Drawing inside Yellow Crane Tower - Wuhan

View of Wuhan City at Yellow Crane Tower 

I told the old lady that I was a foreigner and not a local with limited vocabulary in mandarin. Somehow one way or another, We ended up exploring the whole attraction together. 

Apparently her son was outside waiting for he did not want to pay the entrance fee and She was on elderly pass hence free. An unexpected acompanyment which she did try to explain many things to me yet I could only smile and apologies to my ignorance.

Yellow Crane Tower Gardens 

Giant Bell at Yellow Crane Tower - Wuhan

A Local Encounter at Yellow Crane Tower - Wuhan

Wuhan Yellow Crane Tower was a rebuilt apparently. It has always been there and throughout the centuries has been burn down many times. Its a touristic thing to do in Wuhan for sure but its not something to be missed.

While walking around the gardens I received a wechat message wrom Wang which I met on the train the previous day. Meet up for coffee was arranged and we met at 4pm with his friend and his girlfriend. 

Lovely Suzuki GN 125 in China

Standard tales exchange as they were courious on how I was travelling and I naturally was just curious of locals and their lifestyle. Wang brought me back to his tattoo studio and showed me his beautifully bought in 2022 Suzuki GN 125 motorcycle.

I was invited for dinner and managed to get some street food (Lu Cai) with soup which would have never had happen if I had not met them. The local experience as always is priceless. 

Soup Restaurant

Soup Restaurant

Pork Rib & Lotus Root Soup

Local Street Food - Lu Cai 

Local Street Food - Lu Cai 

In a sense its a shame that I had only a day in Wuhan. This city was on the scale of Shanghai and I could feel that this was a city with a lot of hidden gems. Alas my slept deprevation cause me to not think clearly and left Wuhan prematurely to Yichang.

Wuhan City at Night by the River - Synchronize Light Show 

Traveled on: November 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment