Friday 12 July 2024

Money Money .... The Police said to me ....

The ride from Buon Ma Thout to Dalat really was slightly shy of Dalat. I ended up in Midori Coffee Farmstay and just my luck the dorm room was full. Private room which was a double bed cost VND 350,000 but I had only VND 400,000 in my pocket. Some fast negotiating got the price down to VND 250,000 which left me just enaugh for dinner and a few coffee.

The ride was quite nice with little detours done at Lak Lake near BMT. A quint little town that sports tourism by offering elephant ride through the lake. I know lots of people have their own opinion on elephant tourism however this part of Vietnam seams to attract more of the local tourism instead of international tourist. They must have done this a few generations probabaly.

Lake Lak

Elephants at Lake Lak

I did stop for Lunch and finally started splurging a little again by getting the one person Hot Pot for VND 150,000. Fish hot pot which was pretty nice and should be for two people really. After lunch the ride continue shortly and quickly another coffee break as I saw the viewpoint of a beautiful lake. 

Hot Pot Lunch at Lake Lak

I tried to have the break as quick as possible but Coffee in Vietnam is just not meant to be drank quickly. I have no idea why but the coffee, as little as they brew would give me a kick to the brain where my eyes would twitch uncontrollably if I drink it too fast.

Supposely an easy ride of 170km became a time rush as I left the coffee place to really put some distance from BMT and try to reach Dalat before sundown. Along the way, I got pulled over by a police checkpoint. This was a first for me in Vietnam for the whole time I was riding.

Scenic Lake along the way from Buon Ma Thout to Dalat

Coffee Break by the Lake 

I have passed many police checkpoint throughout the ride but was never pulled over. Usually they would already have someone they were focus on that I would blend in with the local bikes and just skirt on but this part of the road was just too quiet with barely any vehicle.

Bike stopped and I got a lot of question in Vietnamese. Gloves on, mask on, full helment with Visor, I guess there was no way the police knew I was not local.

Sorry English ? No Vietnam. ...

With some effort the Police seam to understand and slowly speak the words in english.

Where you come from ?

Malaysia ....

WHERE YOU COME FROM ??

MALAYSIA !! ...

He talked something in Vietnamese with many body signs and hand signs which I guessed he was trying to say no speeding, slow down or something like that. I was pretty sure I was within the speed limit. I just kept nodding ... dumb ...

OK go ! ... and he wave me on ..

Time to run but before I could push off, the police on the other side of the road called out to me.

Money , Money .... with a big smile on his face ...

I tried to smile with my eyes as my mask was still on, giving the police across the street the most

“I dont understand English” look and thank you good bye ...

Just slowly started riding away. Crisis avoided and no bribe involved. An hour later while stopping for a smoke break, I realized that even if the Police wanted to ask for money, I had literaly no money on me, barely VND 400,000.

Sunset at Midori Coffee Farm - Dalat

So back to Midori Coffee Farm. Woke up in the morning and checked my balance of exzactly VND 60,000 left. A mere SGD 4 and I bought expensive organic coffee for VND 40,000. Somehow I am quite comfatable now traveling without money unlike old times when I would get a little paranoid.

Traveled on: Jan 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment