Tuesday 27 February 2024

Suzhou a Noodle Affair

I ended up spending more days in Suzhou than intended. Suzhou had that kinda of effect on me for it was a city that had a vibrant mix of new and old with a twist of way too many tourist which in itself created a spectacle just for tourist to watch other tourist. 

The high end hostel was also another reason for a comfotable extended stay. I was thinking then, that backpacking China would be a luxury if all the hostel was like this and so far Shanghai and Suzhou hostel standard was pretty damn good but then my dreams would be crashed immediately in Hefei and Wuhan.

Suzhou Noodles 

The first introduction to Suzhou Noodles was from the Hostel Owner and I trusted my gut and tracked down the recommended restaurant ignoring all the rest along the way. Turns out to be a more ‘atas’ place but still affordable and the first place set the tone and I knew that this city is going to be a noodle hunt of sorts when the noodles itself is named after the city.

There was so many interesting Noodle shops all around Suzhou that I had to pick carefully since stomach capacity is limited. Suzhou Noodle was a clear broth type with barely any seasoning showcasing the delicate and fine texture of the noodle itself. While I could choose the noodle shop, ordering the noodles was like a multiple choice question in an Alien languege, hence at one stall while trying to order noodles I got Suzhou Dumplings instead.

Suzhou Noodles 

Suzhou Noodle's Shop 

Suzhou Dumpling's

As a first time tourist to Suzhou, I still had some responsible tourist things to do. Hence a visit to the Humble Administrator’s Garden was in the list. Ticket entrance was RMB 70 off season. It was November after all and most of the greenary had already shed preparing for winter. Still it was an impresive garden mixed with a little history which was quite enjoyable.

Humble Administrator's Garden - Suzhou

Humble Administrator's Garden - Suzhou

Bonsai Plant Collection - Humble Administrator's Garden - Suzhou

Linking close with the Humble Administrator’s Garden was the Suzhou Museum. While free to enter unfortunately the quota was full and there was no more tickets for the next whole week. From what I could see, the tour groups had filled up the quota quickly being a free stop. I took a walk to Pingjiang River after the Gardens and it kept me occupied most of the days in Suzhou.

It was interesting to see all the nooks and little old building architecture with the main canal as a focus and of course then there was the shops selling all kinds of touristy trinkets and food. But lastly there was the ‘make up’ parlours which dolls up the tourist for them to dress up like ancient times and go around taking pictures. Half the fun is watching the girls and their photographer do their thing.

Pingjiang River Walk - Suzhou

Pingjiang River - Suzhou

Pingjiang River Walk - Suzhou

Make Up Parlour for Tourist 

Tourist Favourite Activity in China - Dress up + Photography 

I was really tired of walking around Suzhou. The place has that effect on you for each step brings new scenic spots and new stalls to observe and before I knew it, I had walk from 10am all the way to 8pm without much stops. It was just one sight after another. My feet was really aching by the end of the day.

Traveled on: November 2023



No comments:

Post a Comment