Friday 3 May 2024

A forced stop in Zhanjiang with no Transport to Haikou

From Hailin I left for Haikou. Now that I think back, I should have stayed one more night in Hailin to chill. I left Hailin with the help of hotel reception calling me a colectivo taxi. I would never had manage to get it on my own and a private DIDI would cost me RMB 100 at least. 

The colectivo cost me RMB 30 and saved a bunch of time. Local bus thou cheap at RMB 15 was a pain in the ass for it took 2 hours and not knowing when it will arive by the roadside as well was a pain.

Waiting for the Train to Zhanjiang at Yangjiang Station 

To Haikou and Hainan Island that was the plan, however everything had to changed once I reach the train ticket office. Ticket officer told me there was no more ticket for today to Haikou from Zhanjiang. No more ticket for tomorrow either and no more ticket for the day after. All fully booked. This was a first encounter in China where trains were fully booked.

I was starting to wonder if Haikou was a bad idea since if it was so difficult to get there, I might really get stucked and possibily rush for time when my Visa runs out. Still train ride to Zhanjiang first and explore while I decide what to do. 

No trains to Haikou but there are busses and ferry. The journey would take me 6 hours by public transport and another 2 hours for navigating the unknown, so effectively a wasted day. Then there is another 8 hours journey from Haikou to Sanya Beach and similarly I would need to get back to Zhanjiang to continue journey west.

Sometimes the invisible force leads you along the path you must take and this time it is telling me to forgo Hainan Island and move on. 

Zhanjiang

Zhanjiang

Zhanjiang is a big city and boring to boot. Thou there is still some local sightseeing stuff like old town and beachside, the accessibility for a backpacking tourist is almost non-existance. Hotel was intriguing as well as there was no proper hostel around, I opt to go into a business hotel for RMB 90 instead of experiencing another smoking establishment.

After taking a local bus from the main train station in Zhanjiang which for some reason always seams to be quite a distance away from downtown in China cities, I had to still walk around 2km to the designated hotel.

The lady at the reception looked at me and was lost on what to do. Never had she encountered a forigner checking in. My question was mostly lost as she stared at me mouth wide open.

What is there to see in Zhanjiang ?

Chikan District - Zhanjiang

Chikan District - Zhanjiang

Chikan District - Zhanjiang

Chikan District - Zhanjiang

She had no idea, lost for words for a long time and after more careful probing asking her for where to eat instead of places to see, she manage to think of old town at Chikan district and a beachside park.

I didin think much of it, I knew Zhanjiang was going to be slow so I just followed her suggestion and after chucking bags in the room, went for a walk. Along the walk I secured the bus depot location and the price to Beihai for the next day. 

There was nothing much at this point, just walk around Zhanjiang for the day observing the people normal lives and enjoy the seaside view.

Zhanjiang Harbour Channel 

Traveled on: Dec 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment