Sunday 30 January 2022

Exploring Kuching – Meow

I had a few days to explore Kuching before the port called in to informed that Bluey was ready to be collected. It was touchdown from a local domestic flight in Kuching airport which was so weird since I realized that I had not fly domestic for a very long time.

Cat Monument in Kuching

Kuching Riverside 

Never being to Borneo before, I had no idea what to expect but image and perception still formed in my dreamy state and I tot it was going to be a metropolis like JB or Penang of sort. Kuching was a hidden Gem .... within a few days exploring I decided this was a good place to retire if only there was no weird restriction for Malaysian within Malaysia.

It was also a city like no other in Malaysia. Rustic like Malacca, modern like Putrajaya yet bustling like Selangor with all the big shopping centers scattered around the outskirts of the city center while retaining a charm that was unique such as a wide river cutting the city in half with river still having paddle taxi boats to ferry people across for RM 2.

Kim Joo Sarawak Kolo Mee

Downtown Photography Competition in Kuching

Downtown Kuching Heritage 

Little India - Kuching

By chance I happened to be there during the Kuching Food Festival which showcase all the food in Malaysia in like a big Pasar Malam (Night Market) and while it was still a normal event that we usually see everywhere in Malaysia, the people was definitely different. For once, knowing 3 languages and a few dialects was not enough for me to eavesdrop on people conversation. There was so many new colors of languages being spoken especially those vendors that come from outside Kuching to setup their stalls.

Kuching Riverfront 

Boatman Taxi 

Kuching City

Bridge across Kuching River 

I really came to enjoy Kuching, especially since I was shopping almost all my camping gear and road gear for Bluey. I was worried it would not have some of the niche gears but Kuching while retaining its rustic beauty still has enough people running through that many niche item that would only be seen in large capital cities was also available albeit requiring a bit of hunt.

Traveled on: Jul 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment