Friday 26 January 2024

Flying to Shanghai on a One Way Ticket

For all my travels in so many years, this was my first time ever flying into a country on a one way ticket. Previously most of the round the world trip was on a RTW ticket. So technically I had an outbound ticket albiet from another country through multiple land borders. 

It does however proves that I was having a plan to leave as I have a expensive ticket/plane to catch somewhere in the future. This time however I had nothing. Just a one way ticket to China/Shanghai.

My flight was also the cheapest one I could find. Air Asia with horrible timing where I fly in the evening and reach Shanghai just shy past midnight. Past Midnight ... * Internal Facepalm * but as this was the start start of a long backpacking journey, I figured roughing out the first night should be alright as I was still fresh.

My neighbour seat was a nice young guy from Shanghai which was only 15 years old and somehow studying in Kampar Malaysia. I have no idea how this conversation was working out but he was young, really young considering my age now. 

He kinda hold up the whole burden of the conversation and I just listen and take some of the verbal abuse where some of his ideology went againts my better judgement. I did not bothered to correct him for it would be too much a hassle on my part and in a way listening to his point of view without prejudice was interesting.

Touchdown Shanghai and finally I am starting to feel a bit of the exitement. Its crazy how hard it is for an adventure to be exiting nowadays. First up was the self service kiost finger print recording but somehow mine was not taking and just had to walk all the way to imigration counter and hope for the best. I ask a few fellow Malaysian walking the same way and it was 50/50 where some was ok and some was not so I guess it was not too much of a concern.

Shanghai Airport walking to the Fingerprint Collection Kiosk

Arrival card filling time and I had to tick the no return ticket bought. I was honest, still very nervous and worried what kind of scrutiny I would suffer. Fingerprint did not take again at the immigration counter and they took me to another booth for a higher officer to inspect. 

Sir asked me a question which I translated as what is your surname. Seams like a dumb question since he as holding my passport but when I told him my surname, his face seam contorted which means that was not the question he asked ....

A few seconds after the frown they verified that the visa is valid and viola they stamped me in. No question asked on the missing air ticket out of China. Customs was breeze and I was really begining the journey. One O’Clock at Shanghai Pudong Airport and another 6 hours to kill before the meglev train opens. It was time to find a cosy spot in the airport to snooze.

To the Meglev Station

Traveled on: Dec 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment