Friday 12 January 2024

From Zhenyuan to Mengla Via Puer and Encountering Police Checkpoint along the way

The last day of riding in China. The solemn ride and in a way there was nothing much to experience in between. The road was the same one that we took going up north on the first day with the highway only on the opposite direction but the pace somehow was easier. Maybe it was the shorter distance from Zhenyuan to Mengla compared to from Jinghong to Kunming. I dunnu , but it was like a passing video clip that seams to go slowly.

Start the ride from Zhenyuan and just before we hit the highway we rode toegther along the country side road with the big bikes. Me, Azu, Jazz and Bing eventually lagged so far behind and had a smoke break when I saw a scene too beautiful to passed up stopping even on a one lane narrow street.

A View too beautiful not to pause and soak in. 

Single File, Roadside Pit Stop

Back on the trail and within no time we caught back up with the whole gang which was held up by the police in a small town. All bikes parked we took a break while Bing went through the procedures with the traffic police. It was a standard check and within moments got the thumbs up and we were ready to go but Bullet asked for a photo with the police which he obliged. We got a few photos with a small group and then others suddenly realized we were taking photos, started running from their bike to join in.

This actually spooked the police and one of them bailed out of the photos saying it would not be appropriatte to take them as we would post them on social media. Hence no group photo with the police ... only partial group photo with one police which confidently kept his mask on while we took photos.

The Happy Group .... All Legal in China

Eventually we split up again riding south to Puer but with little persuasion, I detoured the moped group and two big bikes to Puer downtown for proper lunch instead of sticking it out by the roadside. Simple lunch but a good stop while the crew played with an enthuiastic kid and his granpa. Azu and my plan to buy tea at Puer vanish as Bing told us we could get it anywhere in Yunnan even at Mengla where we were headed so there was no need to hunt a tea shop in Puer.

At the hotel, we arrived with good time for Dinner. While registering at the lobby, Jazz heard some flute melody and walked towards a door which led us to a tea shop right inside the hotel itself. The backdoor was inside the hotel and we stumble upon a local family which the father was playing a bamboo flute.

The mother presented the tea ceremony, while the two daughters who could barely speak english did their best to translate and explain the meaning and rituals. I had a twinkle in my eye the moment they uttered a few words in english and that was my que to shut up and enjoy tea while Azu fumbled to communicate his queries and the girls fumbles to answer.

Azu happy with his Tea Purchase from a Family Tea Shop in Mengla

In a way I did not wan to translate too much, for this was a rare opportunity for Azu to experience and connect with the locals. He knew this too I suspect since he did his best to talk to the girls and not once did he ask me to translate directly. I only intejected when I feel the depth of explanation is impossible for the girls to explain at that stage.

Azu, happy with his purchase of Tea and enjoying the flute performance by the father, I shared the video to the group chat where all the rest were having dinner. Almost immediatly I got a call from Din’s wife. ....

Ed ... buy me two piring of the tea ...

What the hell ... do you know which type of tea you wan ?? or how much the tea cost ??

Nvm she said, just buy two first and she would pay me back later she said .

I could only laugh and told her to have her dinner slowly and I would keep the shop open for her.

I requested the family which was kind enaugh to oblige. When Din’s wife came in, I left the family to do all the translation and demonstration as me and azu had to go for the bikers brifing. Within 20 minutes she came out with a bag of tea and a big smile on her face. I guess the second time was easier for the girls to explain.

That night Bing opened up a Kareoke room for the last night of the trip. Kareoke without alchohol as no one drinks. So weird.

Traveled on: Jun 2023


No comments:

Post a Comment