Friday 28 June 2024

Failed Detour to Doi Charlie

I decided while riding somewhere along the way after the successful border run at Plei Can towards Kon Tum to visit Doi Charlie. Found it on google maps and pictures looked nice with a spine road cutting along the mountain ridge. 

Doi Charlie was a war monument and base on the few reviews that said road were ok so long it was dry season gave me a booster since it was super hot and sunny.

It was only 11km to Doi Charlie from where I was when I decided to do the detour instead of going stright to Kon Tum. Off the main road and the road were a little gravelly and broken which was nothing to worry about and seam doable. 

The Begining to Plantation Riding towards Doi Charlie

Checked the map and I was going the wrong way. Double back onto the trail and the road become a dirtpath and then became a weird offroad adventure ride.

I soon abandon the plan to reach Doi Charlie once I saw a few steap climb with super broken crevice which looked like a mini canyon. I decided to back track and go along the gravel road till I could join back to the main road. 

Only 5km in .... and already wasted so much time battling the offroad. This is where I decided to give up Doi Charlie. Steep Raods plus broken crevies ahead

Still a Beautiful Detour though the countryside

The ride was good for a long time through the bad gravel and suddenly without realizing I was back in the forest dirtpath with the path getting worst every minute.

By this time I was already so far into the path that backtracking would take me another hour. I had also barely traveled more than 5km. Mental fatigue built up fairly quickly and I was really oppose to backtracking all the way. 

Suddenly I saw a good road up ahead but as always and as feared, there would be a crazy pass somewhere at the end point which would prove to be my downfall.

Contemplating the Steep Downhill ....

A super steep downhill where if I commit to the ride, would be a one way trip. Either get down in one peice of fall down. There was no way I could stop on that slope which looked like a 20% incline. Even walking down had a chance for slipping and falling down halfway. The good road was the tempatation and by this time I was a bit crazy.

Down the hill keeping to lowest gear and keep reminding myself to not insticttively clutch in and not to over break to lock the wheels and cause a slide. I rolled down alrite and the last few meters went pretty fast which feels like a roller coaster but I made it without a scratch. 

Made it down the steep slope in one piece ....

All those training with Bluey going up and down dirtpath road falling over and over again had paid off but I would not do it again if I had the choice.

Stupid detour to Doi Charlie failed and cost me 2 hours whacking through the plantation road trying to get out. It was a direct mainraod from then on to Kon Tum where I would rest for the next two nights.

Traveled on: Jan 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment